Nov 24, 2012

Pecan Pie for Big Boys


  Anyone can eat pecan pie that's mostly a gooey buttery filling and a couple pecans here and there, but it takes a real man at heart to have what I would call a true pecan pie, about 85% pecans. That is, if you think you can do it. In my personal opinion, the gooey (but amazing, don't get me wrong) filling acts as training wheels and I think it's time to take off the training wheels, sport. If you really feel like putting on your big boy pants, add a couple tablespoons of whiskey or bourbon to the egg/butter mixture. 
  This recipe has been in my family for a while and I got it from my grandma to make for thanksgiving. When I made it, I felt like it needed a couple more pecans (or the rest of the bag if we're being specific here). I ended up doubling the pecans and adding a little molasses but it is pretty much Grandma's pecan pie. And yes, we cheat and use store-bought pie crust; I promise it'll be okay.
Pecan Pie for Big Boys
Ingredients:
1 frozen 9-inch deep dish pie crust
3 eggs 
1 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon molasses
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
1 and ½ teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups pecan halves, toasted *
2 cups crushed pecans, toasted
*You can toast them in a toaster oven or a regular oven (I prefer a toaster oven if you have one). It should take around 5 minutes, or until they turn a darker brown and you can smell them in the kitchen. Let them cool before mixing them in!!

Directions
1.      Preheat oven to 350F.  Beat the eggs well, until combined but not frothy; I’d suggest doing this by hand so they’re not over-beaten.
2.     Combine the eggs, corn syrup, molasses, sugar, (not too hot) butter and vanilla in a large bowl. Once combined, add the salt and stir in the pecans. Be sure that every nut is coated with the mixture.
3.     Pour into the frozen pie crust and adjust the pecans so there are no big gaps or lumps. Place the pie on a cookie sheet in the oven and bake for 1 hour, covering it loosely with aluminum foil about 30 minutes through. It is done when the middle is almost set (it doesn’t slosh around when gently wiggled).
4.     Cool the pie, loosely covered, for at least 20 minutes and serve with vanilla ice cream (I’m supposed to say that part is optional but I do not wholeheartedly support that statement).

No comments:

Post a Comment